0Guide for new PhD students and PostDocs
If you are new in Iceland or at the University, these following points will help you to get started:
- Get a Kennitala http://www.mcc.is/english/eng-administration/kennitala/eeaefta-citizens/
- Get a bankaccount
- Get a contract
- You can send you contract to the workers union BHM to prove it
- After the first paycheck look into the electronic document (online banking) which fees are deducted from your salary and for what
- Apply for a membership at the workers union BHM(FÍN) http://www.fin.is/um-felagid/umsokn-um-adild/ ->it is possible to get benefits after 6 months
- Get an ugla account + email address
- For PhDs: Sign up in ugla for ‘final project’. Your supervisor has to confirm the credits every semester!
- Apply for a tax card https://www.rsk.is/english/individuals/tax-card/ https://www.rsk.is/media/rsk14/rsk_1404.en.pdf. Address of RSK: Laugavegur 166
- Make a tax report every year (deadline in March) https://secure.rsk.is/Thjonustusidur/Vefur/
- Health Injurance – maybe forms from former home injurance needed. There is no guarantee that foreigners will be injured from the beginning!
- Register for Arkímedes, the society for Phd students and post doctorates in the School of Engineering and Natural Sciences at the University of Iceland. Send your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Further questions or problems?
- SENS student service http://english.hi.is/sens/school_of_engineering_and_sciences/sens_student_service email@example.com
- Contact Arkímedes: firstname.lastname@example.org